If you enjoy Middle Eastern cuisine, youre going to love todays post. Ive had this recipe Pinned for quite some time and finally got around to making it this past weekend.
This recipe comes from Cooking Light, you can feel better knowing that its a healthier version of a pizza. The spices that go into the chicken bring out an amazing flavor with a bit of spice. Have you ever used Garam Masala? This is a blend of ground spices common to India and South Asia. It has a hint of spice so if you dont like extra spicy food, I suggest leaving out the extra cayenne pepper.
I really enjoyed crunchy base that the pita pockets offered as the crust and the sliced red onion on top added a nice crunch. Serve these pizzas with a small green salad and youve got yourself a complete meal! Enjoy!
- 12 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 14 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 teaspoons garam masala, divided
- Cooking spray
- 58 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can unsalted diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 14 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 4 (6-inch) whole-wheat pitas
- 13 cup thinly vertically sliced red onion
- 3 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded (about 34 cup)
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
- Preheat broiler to high.
- Cut chicken in half horizontally. Combine chicken, yogurt, and 12 teaspoon garam masala. Place on a foil-lined baking sheet coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with 18 teaspoon salt. Broil 5 minutes on each side.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Place tomatoes in a mini chopper; pulse until almost smooth. Add oil to pan. Add 112 teaspoons garam masala, ginger, red pepper, and garlic; cook 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes; simmer 4 minutes. Stir in 12 teaspoon salt and cream; cook 1 minute. Cut chicken into pieces. Add chicken to pan; toss.
- Place pitas on baking sheet. Broil 1 minute each side. Spoon 12 cup chicken onto each. Top with onion and cheese. Broil 2 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro.